Tuesday, November 6, 2007

A few cheeses from Sweden and France


A few days ago I did go out and buy a few cheeses, from Sweden and from France, here's just some quick mind notes.

Sweden:

Herrgårdsost. (Manorhouse cheese) The one I recently bought is from the producer, Falbygden, named "Arn", one of the more aged, 18 months. Most typical Herrgård-cheese is mild and to me at least a boring cheese, since its not allowed to age, delivered to stores after 2 to 4 months. My cheese was 119SEK/ kg. But now, after the fact, I learned probably the FINEST ones out there is a 24-month-aged one from Sivan Johansson for 299SEK/ kg. Too bad I didn't know this earlier. I found out about it after this Swedish review of Herrgård cheese from the Swedish daily, Dagens Nyheter. Back to the Herrgård cheese: I'm told this type of cheese was developed in the nineteenth century, at the manor Marsvinsholm, in an attempt to imitate the successful Emmentaler/ Swiss-cheese. I don't really think it tastes like Emmentaler, well, OK barely. Mine is semi-hard/hard, tangy, sightly nutty and aromatic. It is however really wonderful on Swedish crispbread, but I don't think it's exciting enough for a cheese plate. Perhaps Sivan Johansson's Herrgård 24 month one is. I'll have to go to a cheese specialty store in Stockholm, Vasastans Ost, to buy it one day. She, Sivan Johansson, doesn't actually make the cheese, but rather knows how to pick them out and then let them age properly. She seems provide truly aged variants of many of the typical Swedish hard cheeses: Grevé, Herrgård, Svecia and Prästost and also a low fat cheese, Kadett. Only to mention a few of the more well knowns.

France:

Roquefort - Papillon

This 'King of Cheese' knocked my socks off. So THIS is what a Blue is supposed to taste like. Salty, tangy, creamy and delightful. Don't shoot yourself in the foot by eating it straight out from the fridge, let it reach room temp first, othwerwise the full flavor wont be there. Made with unpasteurized sheep milk and aged some 150 days in famous Cambalou caves. Mine cost 319SEK/ kg. Papillon is from what I can tell one of seven Roquefort producers. I should give a serious honorable meantion to two Swedish artisanal Blue's, one from Jürss and their Sörmlands Ädel (Swedes call their Blue cheeses Ädel, as the brits calls theirs Stilton), a REALLY creamy goodness. The other one is from Skärvångens Bymejeri and their Ädla, a bit harder and drier when compared to Jürss' product, but still good.


France:

Brie de Meux

I read in a review not so long ago about 'real' Brie cheese and Brie de Meux was meantioned. OK, so now I know that I never knew what real Brie tasted like. I thought all that other unflavored, supermild, no flavor factory Brie pie's was it. OK, so I was wrong. To summarize: real Brie is called Brie de Meux, and it's made with unpasteurized cowsmilk (the milk isn't killed by heating it to 72 C.) and has a wonderful nutty, creamy and delightful flavor with a yellowy look. (No bleached white look) Rememer to let it reach room temp before eating, or you'll be wasting your money. Quote: "-Wow! So this is what Brie is supposed to taste like.."

No comments: