Friday, November 9, 2007

Food fair in Stockholm - "Good Cooking"


This weekend including today, a food fair, Det Goda Köket, (sort of "Good Cooking") is going on in Stockholm. Very enjoyable. I had not really planned on bringing home anything tasty, while I was there - who was I trying to kid...

From up north, in Jämtland is saw two small dairy's who cooperate, Oviken Ost and Skärvångens Bymejeri. They make about twenty handmade cheeses each, including quite a few Goats. At the fair they were also offering a taste of some home-made Confiture, a marmalade that very gelatinized, more like sliced than a spread.


Also at the fair was Androuet, a french specialty cheese company that has a boutique in Stockholm. (I kind of stumbled by their store even, on the street Nybrogatan) They specialize in french artisanal cheeses, mostly from unpasteurized milk, french local farmstead cheese. When I saw their gorgeous french cheeses stacked in wooden crates, I could not help myself, I had to have one. One smelly and ripe french Langres AOC-protected cheese from northern France, the Champagne-Ardenne region. A funny looking (it's 'cupped' at the top) soft and creamy with an dark orange rind, quite smelly but with a careful not that strong tangyness, very, VERY enjoyable.


I saw alot of other goodies, quite a bit of Swedish foods too: reindeer salami, local marmalade/ preserves, fresh fish and smoked fish. I'll just round off with another specialty cheese shop in Stockholm, Vasastans Ost, on the street, St. Eriksgatan. They know their cheese. I picked up a small "tasting plate", to bring home. In the bag I got three cheeses and marmalade:
  1. a hard Swiss Gruyère réserve, unpasterized cow
  2. an Italian Pecorino Sardo which is a hard sheep cheese,
  3. a cylindrical goat (a Caprino in Italian), a Bocconcino di Capra Pura from Caseificio dell'Alta Langa in Piemonte, Italy.
The package from Vasastans Ost is made complete with a wonderful Swedish Apple/Tomato marmelade (50% fruit) with a slight touch of Balsamic vinegar from Olof Victors a artisanal bakery that also makes a few other goodies: mustard, chocolates and ice cream. All in all a nice touch: one cow, one goat, one sheep and a high quality marmalade...for not that much money.

No comments: