Tuesday, November 6, 2007

Mozzarella di Bufala Campana



Nice- I found real Mozzarella, made with water buffalo milk, not cow. My 'ball' is from the Francia dairy, Italy's fourth largest Mozzarella maker. After a bit of googling I learned that 'my famous' salad, intermixed slices of cheese, tomato's and sprinkled with Basil is a Caprese Salad, how about that - I never knew that. Also an organic Mozzarella is available from Francia Dairy. Real Mozarella is a DOP cheese (or PDO: Protected Designated Origin), meaning it can only be made in certain regions.
There is also a smoked type of Mozarella available as well, I hope I get a chance to try that soon.

In other news -
Berlin. An amateur historian gets credited for rewriting German culinary history.
Herman Erzmann, 75, has found the country's oldest known receipe for Bratwurst. The instructions was written down in Thüringen, some sixhundred years ago. In 1432 sausage makers only used the purest of ingredients, or else if found cheating, would have to pay a full days salary in penalty. See, they don't make them the way they used to, I suppose. (source: Reuters.)

No comments: